June 18 (LPAC)–After a thorough check-out of Tiangong-1’s
environmental, power, and communications systems, the
three-person crew of the Shenzhou-9 spacecraft entered the small
prototype space lab module, to begin a 10-day stay on board. The
docking was performed through computer control from the ground,
as it had been with the unmanned Shenzhou-8 craft last November.
Later in the mission, the two craft will undock, and then re-dock
under the manual control of the crew.
Automatic docking is more difficult and created one of the
worst potential disasters in space history, when an unmanned
Russian Progress cargo ship tested a new automatic docking system
with the Russian Mir space station in the late 1990s. The
Progress crashed in to a station module, causing it to
depressurize. Quick thinking and action by the crew saved the
rest of the Mir station. The Chinese crew will carry out the
manual docking as a test, in case, in the future, there is a
problem with the automatic system.
All three crew members will live in the Tiangong-1 while the
craft are docked, and Shenzhou-9 will be basically shut down.
While two sleep, one astronaut will remain on duty. Tiangong-1
has about double the volume of the Shenzhou, and, as seen in the
live TV coverage of the mission, has adequate space for
experiments, as well as living quarters.
Defuse the Euro Timebomb with a Global Glass-Steagall
Follow the Brigade on TwitterMy Tweets
- Egypt— From Out of the Mattress and into Great Projects
- The Hindu: ‘Obama, the Serial Interventionist’
- Webcast: Solving the Drought Starts with Mankind’s Mastery over the Solar System
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi Inspires America
- LPAC Policy Committee 29 Sept. 2014
- The UNHRC Passes Argentine Resolution Condemning Vulture Funds; U.S. Sides with the Vultures
- Modi: Let Us Fulfill Our Pledge on a Development Agenda
- BRICS Takes the Lead at UN General Assembly
- Argentina’s President Fernandez Confronts Obama at UNSC on Failed U.S. Anti-Terrorism Policy
- Rousseff: BRICS Show Way to Peace, Not Military Force
- Lyndon LaRouche Launches Urgent Appeal to Pre-Empt a Dictatorship
- ‘A New Egypt’ with the “Right to Development”
- India “Creates History” With Successful Mars Mission
- Text: President Michael D Higgins St Vincent de Paul Launch Event
- We Need a New, Inclusive World Security Architecture
- LaRouche’s 40-Year Record: A New International Economic Order
- Ó Snodaigh Says Ruairí Quinn should not second guess the Irish people’s view on Irish Unity.
- BRICS Developments, September 23rd, 2014 – The Nuclear Rebirth
- LPAC Policy Committee Show – 22 Sept. 2014
- President Michael D Higgins: No going back to the old business as usual
LaRouche Irish Briga… on Robert Burns: Sic a Parcel of… John Morrison on Robert Burns: Sic a Parcel of… LaRouche Irish Briga… on Happy Birthday Lyndon LaR… Gustav on Happy Birthday Lyndon LaR…