June 18 (LPAC)–After a thorough check-out of Tiangong-1’s
environmental, power, and communications systems, the
three-person crew of the Shenzhou-9 spacecraft entered the small
prototype space lab module, to begin a 10-day stay on board. The
docking was performed through computer control from the ground,
as it had been with the unmanned Shenzhou-8 craft last November.
Later in the mission, the two craft will undock, and then re-dock
under the manual control of the crew.
Automatic docking is more difficult and created one of the
worst potential disasters in space history, when an unmanned
Russian Progress cargo ship tested a new automatic docking system
with the Russian Mir space station in the late 1990s. The
Progress crashed in to a station module, causing it to
depressurize. Quick thinking and action by the crew saved the
rest of the Mir station. The Chinese crew will carry out the
manual docking as a test, in case, in the future, there is a
problem with the automatic system.
All three crew members will live in the Tiangong-1 while the
craft are docked, and Shenzhou-9 will be basically shut down.
While two sleep, one astronaut will remain on duty. Tiangong-1
has about double the volume of the Shenzhou, and, as seen in the
live TV coverage of the mission, has adequate space for
experiments, as well as living quarters.
Defuse the Euro Timebomb with a Global Glass-Steagall
Follow the Brigade on TwitterMy Tweets
- Weekly Report 17 December 2014
- Friday Webcast 19 December 2014
- Silk Road Projects To Expand Chinese Business Abroad
- Gerry Adams’ Blog : Amateurish and ham fisted negotiation
- Sign the Petition – The U.S. Must Join the BRICS
- Update on “Russia Crisis” Hamiltonian System, Is Key to Solving the Strategic Crisis
- British and Obama Push World War Through Economic Assault on Russia
- McGuinness rejects Taoiseach’s claim as laughable
- Gerry Adams Says Kenny signed up to British agenda at North talks
- Wall Street’s Pyrrhic Victory: Self-Defeat & the Bush-League Trickery
- LPAC Policy Committee Discussion — 15 December 2014
- President Higgins speech Fudan University, Shanghai, China
- Detroit Water Brigade memento from Dublin Sinn Féin councillors
- Friday Webcast — 12 December 2014
- Would We Have Had a Torture Program if the ‘28 Pages’ Were Never Classified?
- LPAC Weekly Report: The New Paradigm for Mankind · December 10, 2014
- Senate Intel Report Nails Bush/Cheney Torture Program; A Jeb Bush Presidency Would Lead To World War
- Live Feed: Right2Water National Assembly — Outside Leinster House — 10 December 2014
- Irish State Visit to China: President Higgins and Sabina Higgin with President XI Jinping and Madame Peng Liyuan
- Right2Water National Assembly 1:00 10 December
Tom Arnall on Live Feed: Right2Water Nationa… tonywicher1 on Regime Change in Russia by Eco… LaRouche Irish Briga… on HSBC Avoids All Prosecution, S… Michael Murphy on HSBC Avoids All Prosecution, S…