Spanish society is breaking down, like Greece’s
before it, under insane, budget-cutting policies on the pretext
of paying unpayable debts. A story decrying the “alarming
increase in the number of suicides in Spain” due to the economic
crisis was published by Alerta Digital three days ago. It charges
that the press and politicans are covering up what people see
happening around them, such as the recent case of a 56-year-old
disabled woman who jumped from the balcony of her 11th story
apartment when she was about to be evicted, as 100 people watched
in horror, trying to convince her to not jump. Eures, a European
Commission network, estimates at least one Spaniard commits
suicide a day because of economic precariousness. Businessmen,
unemployed, retirees with miserable pensions are killing
themselves out of desperation.
The suicide figures do not count the youth who have become
drug addicts, due to the toal lack of a future, the article
notes. The number of people addicted to drugs is now feared to be
higher than during the last half of the 1970s; people who don’t
have the money to buy drugs, are inventing them, such as one made
from cow dung, according to police.
(The government of Catalunya recently admitted there was a
10% increase in suicides in that region in 2011 over the year
before, as an average of 1.5 people a day killed themselves.
There was a nearly 22% increase in suicide attempts.)
Alerta Digital reports that many of the suicides are
businessmen. Spain is a country of family businesses, the author
writes, and tens of thousands of these businesses have closed in
the last three years.
With prices sky-high, salaries frozen (already among the
lowest in Europe), and taxes at record rates, many people are
reduced to stealing food from the supermarkets to survive. Entire
families live off the shrinking pension of the grandfather in the
family. Consumption is at its lowest rate in more than 70 years.
“It is a harsh present which Spain is living through.
Perhaps the worst since the Spanish civil war. And the worst is
that there is very little margin for hope. How many more suicides
will continue to be hidden in the coming months?”
Defuse the Euro Time-Bomb with a Global Glass-Steagall
Follow the Brigade on TwitterMy Tweets
- Fly away Enda, fly away Joan – Ó Caoláin
- No Diversions: Next Two Weeks Will Decide the Fate of Mankind
- Martin McGuinness on current political situation in the Assembly
- LaRouche: History Will Be Made This Week and Next
- China’s Ambassador to Britain: “It’s an Opportunity, Not a Threat”
- Any Greek Deal Has To Include Debt Reduction
- The Euro is Over; The Austerity Rejected, What about the U.S.?
- LPAC Policy Committee 25 May 2015
- For a Genuine U.S. Revival, Dump Obama And His British Masters Now For a Genuine U.S. Revival, Dump Obama And His British Masters Now
- The Immortality of Wilhelm Furtwängler by Matthew Ogden
- LaRouche’s Mission to Restore the American Presidency, What is Yours?
- Friday Webcast 22 May 2015
- Léargas by Gerry Adams —- Reaching Out
- Lyndon LaRouche: Reverse the Tsarnaev Death Sentence Before It Becomes a Hitler Phenomenon
- A Vernadskian Reconsideration of Galactic Cycles and Evolution by Benjamin Deniston
- New Paradigm Show — Mankind is Not an Animal 20 May 2015
- New Benghazi Documents Show Obama Lied to the American People and Should Immediately Be Impeached
- Declassified DIA Documents Can Bring Down Obama Now
- PAC Policy Committee with Lyndon LaRouche · 18 May 2015
- Manhattan’s Struggle for Human Freedom Against the Slave Power of Virginia
poldergriet on Dump Obama Now or Face Imminen… poldergriet on New Paradigm Show · April 29,… poldergriet on The Obama Murders Open Source Media on Obama is the Detonator for Wor…