Aug. 22, 2012 (LPAC)–President Obama’s “red line” for attacking
Syria, that is, Syria’s stockpile of chemical weapons, is seen in
Moscow as little more than a pretext for US military
intervention. A source in the Russian Foreign Ministry told
Kommersant Daily that this secnario is considered very probable.
“Our Western partners and Israel have recently made such
statements,” the source said. “We believe they can follow up on
these threats.” That this may have been a topic of discussion
between Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and a Syrian
delegation in Moscow, led by Deputy Prime Minister Qadri Jamil,
was suggested by comments that Jamil made to reporters after the
meeting. “The West is looking for an excuse for direct
intervention,” he said. “If this excuse does not work, it will
look for another excuse.” Jamil also spoke against Western
military intervention, warning that it could ignite a regional
conflict. “Those who are contemplating this, evidently want to
see the crisis expand beyond Syria’s borders,” he said.
Kommersant’s source also reported that the Russian
government is actively working with Syrian authorities to make
sure that those weapons stay safe. The Foreign Ministry has
concluded from its dialogue with the Syrians, that the Assad
regime has no intention of using those weapons, and is capable of
keeping them under control. At the same time, Russian diplomatic
sources say, the U.S. is pressuring the Syrian opposition to also
stay away from the stores of chemical weapons. “Opposition groups
are listening to them [the U.S.] and are not making any attempts
to seize chemical weapons,” one diplomatic source said. “This
indicates that the West can have very specific influence on
Asad’s opponents when it wants to.”
The problem, of course, is that the U.S. doesn’t actually
control all of the elements that oppose the Assad government.
“These are primarily groups linked to al-Qaeda,” the source said.
Defuse the Euro Timebomb with a Global Glass-Steagall
Follow the Brigade on TwitterMy Tweets
- LPAC Policy Committee – August 18, 2014
- LaRouche: Boehner Out! Create a Global Coalition to Crush the British Empire
- LaRouche: Money Is A Big Lie! We Have To Create Something With Real Value
- Is Argentina Moving Towards New, ‘War Economy’ Measures?
- Pope Rides High-Speed Rail In Korea, Reaches Out To China
- Egyptian President Declares Support for Crucial Toshka Mega-Agricultural Project
- Brazil Presidential Race Turned Upside Down
- It’s the Derivatives, Stupid!
- Argentine President: The World Is Waking Up in Its Own Defense Against Predatory Finance
- New Suez Canal Project Recalls Nasser and the Aswan Dam
- LaRouchePAC Webcast, August 15th, 2014
- The Decline and Free Fall of the European Empire
- Are Bildt and Reinfeldt War Criminals? ISIS Is the Effect, Not the Cause of the New Dark Age!
- The Masque of the Red Death Redux: European Countries Making Preparations To Defend Against Ebola Influx
- BRICS Power Is Sinking In
- HSBC Headquarters Raided in Argentina
- Argentines Mock Obama
- Turkey and China Filling the EU Hole in Agricultural Trade with Russia
- Egyptian President Stands with Argentina in Fight Against Vulture Funds
- Russia-India Nuclear Power Technology Collaboration Is on the Grow
Von on We’re In a Transition Bi… Goose on Russia Further Specifies Sanct… LaRouche Irish Briga… on British Empire Has Brazil… ipac1 on Collusion happened at the High…