Spanish society is breaking down, like Greece’s
before it, under insane, budget-cutting policies on the pretext
of paying unpayable debts. A story decrying the “alarming
increase in the number of suicides in Spain” due to the economic
crisis was published by Alerta Digital three days ago. It charges
that the press and politicans are covering up what people see
happening around them, such as the recent case of a 56-year-old
disabled woman who jumped from the balcony of her 11th story
apartment when she was about to be evicted, as 100 people watched
in horror, trying to convince her to not jump. Eures, a European
Commission network, estimates at least one Spaniard commits
suicide a day because of economic precariousness. Businessmen,
unemployed, retirees with miserable pensions are killing
themselves out of desperation.
The suicide figures do not count the youth who have become
drug addicts, due to the toal lack of a future, the article
notes. The number of people addicted to drugs is now feared to be
higher than during the last half of the 1970s; people who don’t
have the money to buy drugs, are inventing them, such as one made
from cow dung, according to police.
(The government of Catalunya recently admitted there was a
10% increase in suicides in that region in 2011 over the year
before, as an average of 1.5 people a day killed themselves.
There was a nearly 22% increase in suicide attempts.)
Alerta Digital reports that many of the suicides are
businessmen. Spain is a country of family businesses, the author
writes, and tens of thousands of these businesses have closed in
the last three years.
With prices sky-high, salaries frozen (already among the
lowest in Europe), and taxes at record rates, many people are
reduced to stealing food from the supermarkets to survive. Entire
families live off the shrinking pension of the grandfather in the
family. Consumption is at its lowest rate in more than 70 years.
“It is a harsh present which Spain is living through.
Perhaps the worst since the Spanish civil war. And the worst is
that there is very little margin for hope. How many more suicides
will continue to be hidden in the coming months?”
Defuse the Euro Time-Bomb with a Global Glass-Steagall
Follow the Brigade on TwitterMy Tweets
- Yemen’s Foreign Minister Sends Message of Gratitude to Helga and the LaRouche Movement
- The Choice is Posed
- President Trump at the United Nations—What You Missed
- Open Letter to President Donald Trump In Defense of Columbus
- Russia, China, the U.S. — Fighting to End the Unipolar World, and Establish the Harmony of Interests Among Sovereign Nation States
- Fireside Chat with Mike Billington, September 21, 2017
- Zepp-LaRouche: Do We Go Down with the Trans-Atlantic Financial System, or Do We Join Hands with the New Silk Road?
- Lavrov and Tillerson Disscus Strategic Issues During Meeting at Russian UN Mission
- Just Why Does Wall Street So Hate ‘The New Silk Road’ and Lyndon LaRouche?
- LaRouchePAC Monday Update
- Russiagate Debunked: Ray McGovern & Bill Binney Conference in NYC
- It’s the Belt and Road or Blowout
- Enemy of the New Silk Road Paradigm: Saudi Genocide in Yemen
- Manhattan Town Hall event with Ben Deniston
- China, Russia Call on U.S. To Conduct Diplomacy, Not Threats, over North Korea; LaRouche Stresses, U.S. Holds the Key
- An “Old Man” Among Us: Happy Birthday, Lyndon LaRouche!
- Yemeni Foreign Minister Receives LaRouche Movement Statement on Stopping the Saudi War Against Yemen
- The Russian Hack Inside Job: Who’s Trying To Destroy The Presidency And Start A World War With Russia?
- What Lyndon LaRouche had Forecast is Here
- Fireside Chat with Dennis Speed, September 14, 2017
LaRouche Irish Briga… on Trump Has Set the Stage For Ru… Patrick on Trump Has Set the Stage For Ru… LaRouche Irish Briga… on Glass-Steagall To Be Debated i… Felix Culpa on Glass-Steagall To Be Debated i…