Aug. 22, 2012 (LPAC)–President Obama’s “red line” for attacking
Syria, that is, Syria’s stockpile of chemical weapons, is seen in
Moscow as little more than a pretext for US military
intervention. A source in the Russian Foreign Ministry told
Kommersant Daily that this secnario is considered very probable.
“Our Western partners and Israel have recently made such
statements,” the source said. “We believe they can follow up on
these threats.” That this may have been a topic of discussion
between Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and a Syrian
delegation in Moscow, led by Deputy Prime Minister Qadri Jamil,
was suggested by comments that Jamil made to reporters after the
meeting. “The West is looking for an excuse for direct
intervention,” he said. “If this excuse does not work, it will
look for another excuse.” Jamil also spoke against Western
military intervention, warning that it could ignite a regional
conflict. “Those who are contemplating this, evidently want to
see the crisis expand beyond Syria’s borders,” he said.
Kommersant’s source also reported that the Russian
government is actively working with Syrian authorities to make
sure that those weapons stay safe. The Foreign Ministry has
concluded from its dialogue with the Syrians, that the Assad
regime has no intention of using those weapons, and is capable of
keeping them under control. At the same time, Russian diplomatic
sources say, the U.S. is pressuring the Syrian opposition to also
stay away from the stores of chemical weapons. “Opposition groups
are listening to them [the U.S.] and are not making any attempts
to seize chemical weapons,” one diplomatic source said. “This
indicates that the West can have very specific influence on
Asad’s opponents when it wants to.”
The problem, of course, is that the U.S. doesn’t actually
control all of the elements that oppose the Assad government.
“These are primarily groups linked to al-Qaeda,” the source said.
Defuse the Euro Time-Bomb with a Global Glass-Steagall
Follow the Brigade on TwitterMy Tweets
- Yemen’s Foreign Minister Sends Message of Gratitude to Helga and the LaRouche Movement
- The Choice is Posed
- President Trump at the United Nations—What You Missed
- Open Letter to President Donald Trump In Defense of Columbus
- Russia, China, the U.S. — Fighting to End the Unipolar World, and Establish the Harmony of Interests Among Sovereign Nation States
- Fireside Chat with Mike Billington, September 21, 2017
- Zepp-LaRouche: Do We Go Down with the Trans-Atlantic Financial System, or Do We Join Hands with the New Silk Road?
- Lavrov and Tillerson Disscus Strategic Issues During Meeting at Russian UN Mission
- Just Why Does Wall Street So Hate ‘The New Silk Road’ and Lyndon LaRouche?
- LaRouchePAC Monday Update
- Russiagate Debunked: Ray McGovern & Bill Binney Conference in NYC
- It’s the Belt and Road or Blowout
- Enemy of the New Silk Road Paradigm: Saudi Genocide in Yemen
- Manhattan Town Hall event with Ben Deniston
- China, Russia Call on U.S. To Conduct Diplomacy, Not Threats, over North Korea; LaRouche Stresses, U.S. Holds the Key
- An “Old Man” Among Us: Happy Birthday, Lyndon LaRouche!
- Yemeni Foreign Minister Receives LaRouche Movement Statement on Stopping the Saudi War Against Yemen
- The Russian Hack Inside Job: Who’s Trying To Destroy The Presidency And Start A World War With Russia?
- What Lyndon LaRouche had Forecast is Here
- Fireside Chat with Dennis Speed, September 14, 2017
LaRouche Irish Briga… on Trump Has Set the Stage For Ru… Patrick on Trump Has Set the Stage For Ru… LaRouche Irish Briga… on Glass-Steagall To Be Debated i… Felix Culpa on Glass-Steagall To Be Debated i…