The first day of the European Union summit saw Greece and the EU leaders facing off at High noon but no one pulling the triggers. Tsipras met for four hours with German Chancellor Angela Merkel and French President Francois Hollande and Jean Claud Juncker and the head of the Eurogroup of finance ministers Jeroen Dijsselbloem. Mario Draghi,and Donald Tusk.
Statements that followed merely spoke of reform in line with the “February 20th agreement”
While saying she had a “good and constructive talk” with Tsipras Merkel also said there was a “certain disappointment”. She did not say what her “disappointment”was.
“There was confirmation of the will of all sides to work so as to restore the financing ability of the Greek economy as soon as possible,” Tsipras said. Greece will submit and enact its own list of structural reforms.
“Greece wants to be master of its own reforms,” Hollande said. “What its European partners want is that the reforms be in line with the Feb. 20 agreement” to extend its current rescue program through June.
Everyone is waiting for Monday when Tsipras will meet Merkel “one on one” in Berlin.
On the other hand Defencenet.gr, had a different view of the results, calling it a limited success in that Tsipras managed to take the issue out of the hands of the hardliners like German Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble and the Troika and put it on the “political level”.
Tsipras manage to convince them that he will present a series of reforms, that will be approved at the political level and not by the “institutions, ie the Troika. Furthermore they claim it was to open the taps of funding to Greece by the ECB gradually. A grexit was excluded. Greece continues to want payment by the central banks of profits of $ 1.9 billion from their holdings of old Greek bonds.
They write “In short, the Greek government will exercise its policy as a sovereign state, without having on top of it any technocrat judging the results… This is an extremely important development and success of the government.”
The official government spokesman issue a statement expressing satisfaction with the meeting. He also said that president of the European Commission Jean-Claude Juncker will soon announce and a financial package to address the humanitarian crisis in Greece.
“It is a significant amount that is not linked to the financing of the rest of the Greek economy, it is a separate package for which the European Commission and Juncker are committed that will finance actions and initiatives to address the humanitarian crisis,” he noted.
Defuse the Euro Time-Bomb with a Global Glass-Steagall
Follow the Brigade on TwitterMy Tweets
- The New Silk Road is Taking Over—But LaRouche’s Ideas Can Make it Unstoppable
- Second Belt and Road Forum Launches World Economy Into New Dimension
- Class #1 (Apr 27): Overview: The Individual’s Role in History
- China Inspires World Leaders to Develop Global Economy, When Will the U.S. Join?
- Through Lyndon LaRouche’s Eyes
- Larry Johnson, Bill Binney & Barbara Boyd Blast Russiagate Fakery, Highlight GCHQ Role in Coup
- FDR Would Be At The Great Summit in Beijing Today; We Have To Restore Trump’s Presidency
- Ibero-American Memorial for Lyndon LaRouche: “A Great Man has Left Us, but He has Left Us His Ideas”
- Mueller’s $35 Million Gaslighting of the American People—Tell Your Representative & Senators: Investigate and Stop This Treasonous Hoax Now
- Russiagate Sabotaged Trump’s Foreign Policy—That’s Why Trump Fired Comey
- LaRouche is the Soul of America
- Beginning of the End for ‘Russiagate’: Now Defeat The New McCarthyism
- The Mueller Coverup – LaRouchePAC Fireside Chat
- The Noose Tightens on the British Empire
- From the Ashes of Notre Dame de Paris
- The Three Men; London is in Coverup Mode
- The British Role in ‘Russiagate’ Is About to Be Fully Exposed
- Are the Trans-Atlantic Nations Capable, Culturally, of Ending the Decay and Launching a New Paradigm?
- Finish Taking American Presidency Back From the British Empire
- First ‘Image’ of ‘Black Hole’ Teases Imagination: What’s Mankind’s True Potential in Space?
LaRouche Irish Briga… on An Interview With Nessa Childe… bonbon on An Interview With Nessa Childe… Fernando Negro on Lyndon H. LaRouche, Jr.: 1922-… LaRouche Irish Briga… on Spy-Gate Knocked Out Russia-Ga…