With Congress out of session until next week, and while Americans take time out to commemorate those who died in military service in past wars, some leading American and leading Chinese officials alike fear that war between the two nations is likely by Summer. The more astute know that if this is allowed to happen, it will quickly become a broader, multilateral nuclear exchange which will be, as a LaRouchePAC video put it, “Unsurvivable.”
The most recent big step towards war was computer-nerd Defense Secretary Ashton Carter’s long, highly-provocative May 27 commencement address to the U.S. Naval Academy. He told the cadets that he was going to focus his remarks on the Asia-Pacific, because it would define many of their future careers. He singled out the destroyer USS Lassen, which deliberately intruded in Chinese territorial waters last October, and promised that we will “continue to fly, sail, and operate wherever international law allows.” He accused China of
Carter went on to threaten China with superior US weapons systems: the F-35 (which doesn’t work), the P-8, “cutting-edge stealth destroyers,” and numerous others.
A Hitler-style threatening rant, threatening war, and with about the truth-content of one of Hitler’s tirades.
The Chinese have responded. Global Times, a newspaper owned by the Communist Party of China’s People’s Daily, published an unsigned editorial today which said,
Carter’s words have been the most threatening China has heard since the end of the Cold War. They confirm some Chinese people’s worries about the worst-case scenario in the Sino-US relationship, in which Washington may translate its intention to counter China into real actions. The Pentagon may be willing to see confrontation between China and the US. But the US cannot overawe China by wielding a military stick. The People’s Liberation Army can offset the US advantage of equipment in the South China Sea with its size and proximity, and we are confident about countering the threat from the US. Although a military contention will be harmful to China, we cannot retreat in the face of US coercion. China must accelerate its pace to build modern defense capabilities. It should let the US know that if it launches military attacks targeting China in the South China Sea, the US will suffer unbearable consequences. China must enhance its ability to deter the US and increase the US’ strategic risks of military threat against China. [emphasis added]
Now you too have joined the number of those who know this, and you have taken on, willy-nilly, the inescapable responsibility which accompanies that knowledge. Get it out everywhere for a start—but that’s only the beginning. Ask yourself what Lyndon LaRouche would do.
NATO is running exercise after exercise in the Baltics and Poland. Exercise Saber Strike, with 10,000 troops from 13 countries, kicked off on May 27 in the Baltic states. The US Army’s 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment, concurrent with Saber Strike, left its base in Vilseck, Germany, last week, for a 2,200-km Dragoon Ride, meandering through the Czech Republic (where they are now), Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, and, finally, Estonia, over the course of June. This and the Saber Strike exercise follow the recently concluded Spring Storm exercise, which saw 6,000 troops in Estonia. Also recently concluded is Exercise Brilliant Jump, which ran from May 17 to 26, which tested the very-high-readiness Joint Task Force and the Spanish-led NATO Force Integration Headquarters in Poland. All of this will be followed by Exercise Anakonda in Poland later in June and into July, in the run-up to the NATO summit in Warsaw on July 8-9.
NATO’s execising isn’t limited to Poland and the Baltics, however. Exercise Noble Partner concluded in Georgia, last week. UK troops participating in the exercise were treated to a visit by General Sir Adrian Bradshaw, who also met with the Georgian defense minister.
In the middle of this, notes Sputnik, sits Poland, whose right-wing government has been playing a crucial role in stoking the flames of confrontation. Foreign Minister Witold Waszczykowski reportedly is saying that Warsaw won’t agree to any more discussions between NATO and Russia until NATO finally approves the additional troop deployments to Poland and the Baltic states. “Only then will we give our consent to the meeting [of the Russia-NATO Council],” he said, adding that NATO has agreed to this. It’s likely that Russia will see no point in resuming NATO-Russia Council discussions under such conditions.